1. Fractures of the metatarsal bones of the foot
2. Traumatic fractures of metatarsals
3. Stress fractures of the metatarsals
5. treatment of fractures of the metatarsal bones of the foot
foot fracture - fracture of one or more of the 26 bones of the foot that occurs, usually due to excessive load, automotive or sports injuries, falls on the foot of heavy objects.From 2.5% to 15% of the total skeletal fractures account for fractures of the foot.
human foot contains 26 bones that interact closely with each other and connected a large number of small joints and ligaments.Thus the anatomical structure of the foot due to the fact that the fracture of at least one of her bones subsequently affects the foot, and as a result, and on the functionality of the entire limb.
human foot is divided into three divisions: the tarsus, metatarsus and phalanges.
Among all foot fractures is metatarsal fractures occupy a
-travmaticheskie - arising, usually under the influence of the apparent traumatic factors: falling on the foot heavy object, squeeze the foot, impact, etc.
-stressovye (or fatigue) - so 5 broken metatarsal bone of the foot often refers specifically to such fractures, and usually occurs in athletes who have received excessive running load.
There are multiple fractures of the metatarsal bones of the foot and a single.Single foot fractures usually occur without bias, ie fragments of bones in the correct position.Also distinguish between public (the presence of communicating with a fracture wounds on the skin) and closed fractures of the foot.Open fractures are more dangerous, because there is always a risk of infection in the area of the fracture by various microorganisms, which can lead to complications such as an abscess, tetanus, septicemia and osteomyelitis.
The main features of this type of fracture of the foot are:
- a characteristic crunch at the time of injury;
- shortening of the damaged finger or a deviation in the direction;
- significant pain at the time of the injury, which will eventually subside, but do not disappear completely;
- occurrence of edema (very often and bruise) the next day.
In traumatic fractures of the feet often suffer the second, third and fourth metatarsal.
These fractures are subtle cracks provoked by repeated excessive and prolonged stress.Most often observed in athletes-runners.In addition, the cause of the fatigue fracture of the metatarsal bone of the foot may be deformation or abnormal structure or improper shoes or osteoporosis.
Symptoms of stress fracture of the metatarsal bones are:
- pain that occurs during exercise or after it, and disappears at rest;
- point pain at metatarsal fracture palpation;
- occurrence of edema, is not accompanied by a bruise.
Fatigue fractures are characterized mainly for the fourth and fifth metatarsal bones.
danger of this type of fracture of the foot is that most people with damage to the metatarsal bones in no hurry to see a doctor.They are guided by the following: it is possible to advance on foot and walk, then - there is no fracture.This opinion is erroneous.Patients confused with a fracture elongation and because the tactics of treatment of these injuries of the foot completely different.Therefore, at the first suspected stress fracture of the foot is necessary to apply to the traumatologist, to avoid a number of serious complications.For example, a fracture of the metatarsal bone of the foot 5 is characterized by a very slow merging, and in some cases running fracture and all non-union bone ends.
Fractures of the foot can end the following complications:
- chronic pain in the foot;
- long disruption of the foot;
- arthritis that develops against the backdrop of intra-articular fracture or angular deformity, occurring in the absence of proper correction of displacement of fragments of bones;
- deformation of the bone structure and as a consequence of problems in the selection and wearing shoes, limited movements of foot;
- non-union fracture, resulting in the need for surgical treatment.
lack of competent treatment of fractures of the foot leads to the development of serious complications.metatarsal bone fracture treatment depends on the nature of fracture (closed or open), the presence or absence of displacement, location and may include:
- the imposition of gypsum.As a rule, plaster immobilization characteristic of the metatarsal bone fractures without displacement;
- the use crutches during the whole period of fracture healing in order to reduce the load on the foot;
- surgery, conductive bone fractures metatarsal offset;
- postoperative monitoring and surveillance after a course of conservative treatment.Often, patients in this period may be assigned to physiotherapy.
This article is available exclusively in the educational purposes and is not research material or professional medical advice.
make an appointment to see a doctor
Contents: 1. reasons 2. Symptoms of cervical cervicitis 3. Diagnostics 4. Treatment of cervicitis 5. Cervicitis during pr...
Contents: 1. development mechanism and causes of the disease 2. Symptoms of celiac disease in adults and children 3. treatment of...
Contents: 1. nature of the disease 2. Types and symptoms of chronic nephritis 3. treatment of chronic nephritis 4. disease pr...