In the USSR, there was ravioli, fettuccine and penne, and the word "paste" for the Soviet people associated with a tube of "Cheburashka".Yes, in the land of the Soviets did not sell the traditional Italian pasta, but in almost every store on the shelves were some pasta.
now buy or order online store authentic Italian pasta is not a problem.Difficulties tend to arise when choosing a product, for pasta come in different varieties and species.
Not to be mistaken with the choice, first of all, carefully read the label.
varieties of pasta: decipher the label
varieties of pasta depend on wheat and flour from which they are made.
1st class - products of flour and 2 nd class - products made from flour of 1st grade.
- Group A - pasta first or second grade of flour from hard wheat (durum).Grain milling durum yields at the optimum size of the flour particles, and present it carotenoid pigments give the flour a nice yellow color.Macaroni from a flour turn yellow, is better than others retain the taste whe
n cooked, have a low glycemic index and little boiled soft.This is most useful pasta.
- Group B - flour first or second class soft wheat vysokosteklovidnoy.As a rule, quickly prepared.With long cooking stick together.
- Group B - from baking flour first or second class.Quickly boil soft, not too well keep their shape.
the presence of flavorings or dresser group and class pasta supplement called flavor (the most popular vegetable) or fortifier (eg, eggs): Group A 1st class of tomato, Group A 2nd class egg.
also recently manufacturers began to produce pasta therapeutic and prophylactic purposes.For example, buckwheat flour (gluten-free) starch (protein-free - for people with kidney disease).
- products enriched with vitamins and macro-and micronutrients;
- products with a high content of dietary fiber with a high content of particles otrubyanistyh or whole grain, with the addition of wheat germ;
- products with different vegetable additives: 15% tomato paste - tomato, spinach 30%, and sorrel - spinach, 15% carrot juice - carrot;
- pasta enriched with herbal supplements: bio-additives from the peel of grapes - vine products are intended to enhance the immunoprotective functions of human exposure to radiation, bio-additives pumpkin or squash and apples in the form of a paste.
Types of pasta: the selection and preparation of particular
according to GOST, pasta divided into four types: tubular, ribbon, noodles and curly.In turn, they are divided into subtypes (depending on the length and other characteristics).
For simplicity, we have divided all the pasta into categories depending on their shape.
In Italy, so called long pasta of medium thickness, we have - as thin (Cappellini, linguini) and the average thickness (actually spaghetti).Cook them for 7-10 minutes, served with various sauces and seafood.In the Russian version - with lots of cheese.
We are accustomed to call so thin noodles, which usually cook soup, Italians - long, thin spaghetti.Long noodles can be served with various sauces like pasta, or break, and add to the soup.Well, the short, as mentioned earlier, is traditionally added to the broth to get the first dish fragrant.Prepare literally 5 minutes.
In the Italian version - farfalle.They can do all sorts of side dishes, combining with groats, served with gravy.Cook for about 7 minutes.
This form have traditional fettuccine and tagliatelle noodles (with egg), as well as thick Pappardelle.Those that are thinner, can be added to the soup, cook one side dish to meat.Toast added to casseroles and served with thick creamy sauces.Brewed (or baked) such paste from 5 to 25 minutes.
We noodles are long thin strips, usually fast food and not very high quality.Sometimes rice, egg.Preparing for 1-2 minutes.To paste has little relevance.True, traditional tagliatelle manufacturers often referred to as noodles.
Photo: rice noodles
- fusilli, shells, horns, grain
Traditional fusilli and rottini (spiral), ditalini, Cornetti (horns of different sizes), konchiloni (shells), orzo (in the form of grains) can be served as cold (in salads)and hot - with all the sauces, soups.Orzo pasta in general, you can replace rice.Boil them do not have more than 7 minutes.
This is a traditional component of our favorite pasta nautically.In Italy, those that are thicker - cannelloni and manikotti - stuffed with meat, cheese or vegetables, and those that are thinner, - penne, rigatoni - added to soups, casseroles or served separately, with cheese or vegetable sauce.Cook them in the average minutes 10.
Photo: cannelloni with meat
- Pasta with fillings, as well as other forms.
Ravioli and tortellini as our dumplings are served as a separate dish.Ravioli stuffed with cheese often or spinach.It sold mainly fresh.Because of long pasta layers, lasagna, casserole prepared with the same name.But the stars and pasta in the form of letters of the alphabet added to soups.